Thursday, November 6, 2008

Skeeters

In August this year I experienced an phenomenon that I had never before. When we moved to South Texas (Cotulla) I noticed one evening that there were no “skeeters” (to some you would say “skeetas”). In every place I have ever lived I have had to deal with the little blood sucking, buzzing in your ear pest. They have always seemed to be very attracted to me and can find me in a large crowd. But I begin to notice there didn’t seem to be any around here. I was told that it was due to the dry climate.

The funny thing was that when we moved here they received almost a solid two weeks of rain. Dry? Well maybe it was a relative statement. It was not long that I began to understand their meaning of dry. It really got dry and it stayed hot! But, there were still not skeeters. I was liking this.

Now that Fall has fully come in South Texas (the daily temperatures are all the way down to high 80’s now) it is still dry but cooler and guess what? Skeeters! These are not the “carry your cow off” size that we had in the panhandle but they are the size of gnats and they are so fast you can’t swat them, but they can bite you. Not only do they bite but they leave these huge itchy bumps. Between your fingers, on your elbows even the soft spot behind your ear. They can get you!

Once again I have tubes of Cortisone everywhere and convinced that to taxes and death we should include SKEETERS.

1 comment:

landall said...

None of those in the Bay Area. It took me a few months to realize this but once I did, I do not miss them!